- How to can we control CO2 emissions to reduce their impact on our environment ?
- The method is based on 4 axes :
- CO2 transport emission : detecting sources of carbon dioxyde emissions to better control them
- Determine the level of the carbon footprint : by calculation, measurement or use of a database
- Decide on the action plan to be taken to effectively control the transport CO2 emission
- Make your transport function carbon neutral
- Select your vehicle fleet based on ecological and energy criteria
- Use less polluting fuel: biofuels, hydrogen, electric.
- Train employees to develop green and responsible attitudes
- Offsetting emissions
- Download DDS's dedicated guide to reducing CO2 emissions
Controlling transport CO2 emissions, one of the problems facing logistics companies today! How to do it? How can you control the volume of CO2 emitted in the transport of goods (TRM) and meet government requirements? DDS provides you with the answers.
Spearheaded by governments, the fight against global warming implies drastic transitions in logistics practices. These transitions concern all sources of greenhouse gas emissions into the atmosphere, from their detection to their treatment.
How to can we control CO2 emissions to reduce their impact on our environment ?
The method is based on 4 axes :
- Detecting sources of CO2 emissions in the supply chain,
- Measure, calculate or estimate the level of carbon footprint emitted,
- Decide on the action plan to be taken to effectively control the CO2 emission,
- Implement measures to reduce the company’s carbon impact (or even achieve carbon neutrality).
CO2 transport emission : detecting sources of carbon dioxyde emissions to better control them
Anthropogenic CO2 comes mainly from fossil fuel combustion processes.
In the road transport sector, the various carbon emission items are identified according to the ADEME classification.
Determine the level of the carbon footprint : by calculation, measurement or use of a database
Before reducing GHG emissions, it is important to determine the values emitted.
Establishing the carbon footprint of the various divisions of the company is a major step Production, logistics, digital division, etc., all company departments pollute in their own way. The reduction of polluting gas emissions will only be effective if this is the case.
The different values are determined either:
- By calculation,
- By measurement,
- Or by estimation using databases.
The calculation and measurement is carried out by digital solutions such as a TMS linked to a calculator. At DDS, the Green Move, computer is the tool for measuring, reducing and tracking emissions during the shipment of goods. In addition, the implementation of physical sensors detecting pollution levels (exhaust, consumption while driving, etc.) allows pollution values to be measured.
Another way is to estimate the resulting values with databases. In France, ADEME produces the Base Carbone. This is the governmental reference for carbon emitting sources.
Decide on the action plan to be taken to effectively control the transport CO2 emission
????To decarbonise the sector, we need to act on all the polluting levers.
????For logistics companies, the main effort is made in the fleet of goods vehicles. However, it is a part of the vehicle fleet should not be forgotten : company cars, etc.
Indeed, depending on the size of the company and the number of kilometres travelled by managers and sales staff, these road journeys have their share of importance. It is therefore essential to include these cars in the decision-making stage (petrol, diesel, electric or even hydrogen engines in the near future – carpooling – eco-driving training etc .).
Make your transport function carbon neutral
Carbon neutrality is the Holy Grail that every European company has been aiming for since the EU agreements and the IPCC reports on this energy issue.
It is important to understand that carbon neutrality does not necessarily mean a zero emission (or low carbon) balance. To achieve a balanced emission/absorption balance, the company can act on multiple levers :
- Implementation of carbon offset actions,
- Reduction of overall emissions,
- Changing habits and processes towards new materials and innovative types of energy consumption,
- Development of new commercial actions to improve its carbon credit (second hand in the clothing sector…).
Select your vehicle fleet based on ecological and energy criteria
Within the supply chain, the first aspect concerns the vehicle fleet.
The person in charge of purchasing and maintaining vehicles (cars and trucks) focuses on ecological and energy criteria when choosing.
For example, the Ministry of Ecological Transition and Territorial Cohesion has introduced the bonus
when purchasing a vehicle (car, van and truck).
This fleet must meet specific criteria, including the fact that it uses renewable energy as a source of energy Electricity, hydrogen or a combination of the two.
Use less polluting fuel: biofuels, hydrogen, electric.
The logistics sector has its eyes on scientific studies about fuel and their environmental impact. Scientific research is being carried out into energy solutions that are responsible and environmentally friendly. Limiting the atmospheric footprint of gases remains a key concern. Car manufacturers have thus increased the production of all-distance vehicles in hybrid, electric or eco-fuel mode (bioethanol, hydrogen, etc.).
Train employees to develop green and responsible attitudes
In terms of environmental impact, any action must be preceded by the full support of the employees. Only this human will will lead to a strong impact and a lasting effect. The company’s role is to disseminate information that is numerical, accurate and has a high impact potential.
Training in environmental issues will result in each individual becoming responsible for their performance at the heart of the company’s activity. For example, training in eco-driving will serve both lorry drivers and sales staff and managers on their business trips with their company car.
When the emissions data are going crazy, it is sometimes difficult to rely solely on a significant drop in polluting sources. Abandoning diesel, reducing empty runs and downtime are not enough in all cases. In such cases, it is necessary to set up energy offsets :
- Installation of renewable energy production systems (photovoltaic panels, etc.),
- Use of sea or river transport for certain distances, etc.
These are evolutionary figures against CO2 production.
Download DDS’s dedicated guide to reducing CO2 emissions
During your GHG inventory, you are surprised by the high value in tonne-kilometres emitted by your semi-trailers? Are you having trouble making your calculations? DDS has drawn up a guide to help you reduce your greenhouse gases. Click here to download it !